Sunday, April 15, 2012

marbled scenery

This week in K-8 Art Methods we did some traveling! Wish that was actually true because that would mean I caught some sun in Australia! Karissa and Jami's lesson for seventh grade students was called "Marbled Sightseeing." Each student was given a sheet with a picture of a famous location. My location was the Sydney Opera House in Sydney, Australia. We copied our contour drawings  and then traced them in black permanent marker before cutting them out.
The first step to the painting portion of this fun project was to cover the bottom of a large pan with shaving cream. After smoothing the shaving cream, three adjacent paint colors from the color wheel were chosen to dribble into the shaving cream. After I used a comb and a wooden stick to create a woven-looking design, it was time to place my drawing in the pan.
I pressed my design into the shaving cream making sure all of it was face down. After pulling up my drawing and wiping away the shaving cream, a marbled design was revealed. After the painting dried, we attached it to construction paper and cut around it for a border.
I saw other sites from students like the Great Wall of China, Eiffel Tower, Leaning Tower of Pisa, and many more! An extension activity for this project could include a research presentation of the site the student drew. The painting would be the visual for the presentation to the class.

Have a creative day!
Marissa

No comments:

Post a Comment